Veterans Administration (VA) Education Benefits Policies

Enrollment certification for VA education benefits is not automatic. Students must submit to the School Certifying Office (SCO) their most recent Certificate of Eligibility or Statement of Benefit. In addition, students must submit a Veteran's Educational Benefit Agreement Form, signed by the student and advisor for each upcoming semester (including the summer) they wish to have their enrollment certified, requesting to be certified and verifying that all of the classes on the student’s schedule are needed for graduation. 

It is the responsibility of the student to report to the SCO and the VA any course adds, drops, or withdrawals immediately. Changes in enrollment may change eligibility for education benefits and cause the student to have a debt due to overpayment. 

If payment of Veterans Education Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 benefits to the university is delayed, the university will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligation to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from the VA under Chapter 31 or Chapter 33.

If the expected payment to the university from the VA is not sufficient to cover the direct cost billed for a semester by the university, the student is responsible for the amount not covered by the student’s Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 benefit. 

Chapter 33 benefits must be coordinated with scholarships or grants that are designated specifically for tuition. Please contact the financial aid office with questions. 

Satisfactory Progress 

Students receiving VA education benefits must meet the same financial aid satisfactory progress criteria as all other students. 

Enrollment Status for VA Certification

Graduate student

Enrollment status

First Sub-term/Second Sub-term in a full semester

Full Semester


Full time

4.5 sem hours

9 sem hours


Three-quarter time

3.375-4.4 hours

6.75-8.9 sem hours



2.25-3.374 hours

4.5-6.74 sem hours


Less than half-time

0 - 2.25 sem hours

<4.5 sem hours

Undergraduate student

Enrollment status

First Sub-term/Second Sub-term in a full semester

Full Semester



6 sem hours

12 sem hours


Three-quarter time

4.5-5.9 sem hours

9-11.99 sem hours



3.0-4.49 sem hours

6-8.99 sem hours


Less than half-time

< 3 sem hours

< 6 sem hours

May term: Undergraduate and Graduate students: 3 or more credits is Full time.

Transfer Credit 

Mary Baldwin University will review official transcripts from previous institutions. Transfer credit for previous education will be applied to the student’s Mary Baldwin program of education as appropriate. The transfer credit will shorten the duration of the student’s program and the student will be notified of the transfer credit approved. The VA will be notified of the transfer credit as appropriate. Mary Baldwin maintains a written record of the previous education the student received, and the transfer credit approved. The student’s academic record will reflect the transfer credit and the cumulative result of each enrollment period and each course undertaken and the final result for that course. 

Refund Policy 

If a registered student is receiving VA education benefits and withdraws from a semester the VA will be notified of the student’s withdrawal date. The VA will determine resulting eligibility for VA benefits for that semester. Institutional charges and financial aid the student has received for the semester will be subject to the pro rata refund policy if less than 60% of the semester has been completed. If 60% or more of the semester has been completed institutional charges and financial aid will not be adjusted. 

Enlisted Military Personnel Refund Policy 

If an enlisted military student is registered and is called to active duty, Mary Baldwin University will refund 100% of the Military Tuition Assistance funds to the military service branch. 

If an enlisted military student withdraws for reasons other than active duty, to comply with the Department of Defense policy, Mary Baldwin University will refund Military Tuition Assistance funds to the military service branch on the following schedule: 

  • Before or during weeks 1-2: 100% return 
  • During weeks 3-4: 90% return 
  • During weeks 5-6: 75% return 
  • During weeks 7-8: 50% return 
  • During week 9: 40% return (60% of semester is completed) 
  • During weeks 10-15: 0% return 

For Veterans and Other Eligible Persons With VA Education Benefits

The Virginia State Approving Agency (SAA) is the approving authority of education and training programs for Virginia. Our office investigates complaints of GI Bill beneficiaries. While most complaints should initially follow the school grievance policy, if the situation cannot be resolved at the school, the beneficiary should contact our office via email